Mould FAQs

Mould is a type of fungi that are naturally occurring organisms playing a major role in the earth's ecosystem. Mould grows best in damp and poorly ventilated areas, and reproduces by making spores. 

Moulds are present virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors and can grow in and on materials such as food, furniture, fabrics, carpets, walls, paper, timber and plumbing. 

 

Why do I have Mould?

Mould growth occurs when there is a water source or moisture present in an environment with limited or no sunlight. Moisture on gyprock, wood, carpet and other material in an indoor environment provide an ideal place for mould growth to occur.

 

Where could the water source be coming from?

Common water source issues can be a lack of bathroom ventilation, roof leaks, rising damp, plumbing leaks and condensation. Mould Cleaning Australia pty ltd can offer you a free onsite inspection to help you identify the issue.

 

There is no water leak where the mould is growing?

When there is a water leak in a property there is likely visual signs of mould growth and water damage at the actual source of the water leak. Sometimes there is there is no water leak where the mould is growing, often mould will grow along external walls and sometimes even patterns on the ceiling where temperature differences occur on the surface. This is because elevated humidity levels will condensate on different thermal areas of a room. A mould technician from Mould Cleaning Australia pty ltd can explain this further during a free onsite inspection.

 

How does mould affect your health?

Mould produces air born mould spores which can increase particles in an indoor environment. Whenever particals are increased in an indoor environment such as smoke, pollen and dust, health affects can occur and you should seek advice from a medical professional.

 

Do I have Toxic Black Mould?

“The term "toxic mould" is not accurate. While certain moulds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the moulds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by moulds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common moulds which can grow in your house. There is always a little mould everywhere - in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic moulds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary haemorrhage or memory loss. These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mould and these conditions has not been proven.” (reference https://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm)

Latest News